Sellers – Preparing Your Property For Sale
You Are The Key To A Successful Sale
No one has a more important role in the home-selling process than you do. Here are some ways your
participation can contribute to a successful sale:
- Maintain the property in ready-to-show condition.
- Ensure that the house is easily accessible to real estate professionals (lockbox and key).
- Try to be flexible in the scheduling of showings.
- When you are not at home, let me know how you can be reached in case an offer is received.
- If approached directly by a buyer who is not represented by a real estate professional, please contact
me. Do not allow them into the property unescorted.
- In case of last minute showing, always remove or lock up valuables, jewelry, cash and
Know How Buyers View Your Property
It is important for a property to make the best possible impression on prospective buyers.
The following can interfere with a buyer’s appreciation of a property:
- A lawn in need of mowing.
- Untrimmed hedges and shrubs.
- Dead and dying plants.
- Grease or oil spots on the driveway.
- Peeling paint.
- Anything that looks old or worn.
- Worn carpets and drapes.
- Dirty windows, kitchen, baths.
- Pet and smoking odors.
- Peeling paint, smudges or marks on walls.
Always Show Your House At Its Best
These tips can help your house make the best impression when previewed by sales professionals or shown to prospective buyers:
- Remove toys, newspapers, yard tools and other clutter.
- Tidy up and pick up after pets.
- Park vehicles in the garage or on the street, leaving the driveway clear.
- Add color with flowers and potted plants.
- Make beds, clean up dishes and empty wastebaskets.
- Remove clutter throughout and put away toys.
- Set out “show towels” in the bath.
- Freshen the air with potpourri or by baking bread, deodorize pet areas and set the thermostat
at a comfortable temperature.
- Do a quick vacuuming and dusting.
- Arrange fresh flowers throughout the house.
- Turn on the fireplace (when appropriate).
- Play soft background music.